80-20 Rule for Success

80-20 Rule for Success

* “Leadership is a results contest.” – Tony Jeary, Executive Coach
* 80% of results come from 20% of activities
* 80% of revenue comes from 20% of customers
* 80% of sales are generated by 20% of salespeople

Eighty-percent of your results come from 20% of your activities. As a result, your activities should be constantly prioritized. Your 20% priorities are your first things. Always do your first things first. Your priorities in the remaining 80% are second things. If you consistently do your second things first, you decrease both your effectiveness and efficiency. You are unconscious about the relationship between your activities and results.

What should you do? Assign values to your priorities, including: 1) High importance, high urgency (do first); 2) High importance, low urgency (do daily and set deadlines); 3) Low importance, high urgency (delegate or do quickly); and 4) Low importance, low urgency (delegate, do in small segments or let drop off). Whenever possible, do not spend time or energy on the unnecessary. Always be intentional.  If your priorities are right, your results will be right.

Remember, there is a “price” to be paid for activities outside your 20% priorities. If outside (e.g., internal meetings), determine if the price is greater than the benefit. If greater, consider not participating. If lower, consider participating. Note some things must be done and some things come with a choice. If you have a choice, do a cost-benefit analysis. Always remain focused on the 20% or your priorities, as they produce 80% of your results.

All contents copyright © 2013, Josh Lowry. All rights reserved.


Leave Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: